Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Book Review 02 - Cartwheel

Book Review 02
 
Cartwheel
by Jennifer DuBois
 


For those who know me well, or at least keep up a little with me on Facebook, you know how I feel about books. 

Basically - I love books. 
I mean - I really really really love books.  :)
 
I have been a collector and keeper of books for as long as I can remember.

I have piles of books spread around my home.
 
Books add to my enjoyment of life.
 
I even occasionally often read my books.
I also read library books.  And friends' books.  And books at book stores.
 
Lately, I've pushed myself to read more eBooks on my lovely Kindle
(affectionately known as Mikey).
 
 
 
And, as it turns out, I actually enjoy eBooks.
 
I think it's because I can carry so many around with me!
 
So, in my quest to read ever more books, and eBooks in particular, I've become pretty good at sneaking out some decent deals and freebies.
 
Recently, I was given the opportunity to read "Cartwheel" just as it was being published, and I am so glad that I jumped on the chance - It is a GREAT book!!
 
Triggered off of the Amanda Know story, this work of fiction tells the story of a young American exchange student, Lily Hayes, who is celebrating her 21st birthday while she is staying in Buenos Aires.  As she ponders her life and her place in the world, she finds that she is suddenly charged with the murder of her roommate.
 
The tale is told from several points of view, including the central figure as well as her father, her younger sister, her mysterious lover, and the prosecuting attorney.  All players have compelling back stories, and the novel takes a smart approach by moving back and forth in time and slowly expanding our overall opinion of the events.
 
Rather than focusing solely on the guilt or innocence of Lily, we are treated to compelling character studies of the surrounding characters.

The language is often quite lovely and occasionally lofty.
(Yes, I was glad to be reading on my Kindle, with the ability to look up definitions!)
 
The ending, though rather abrupt after all that came before it, was satisfying.
 
My recommendation?
This is a really good read!!  Try it - you might really enjoy it!!
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment